A dowel screw is used for wood-to-wood connection. Most commonly used for attaching legs to chairs or tables. Dowel screws are double ended tapered fasteners. Both dowel screw ends are threaded and pointed allowing it to be inserted into two peices of wood. In the centre of the screw, there’s a small unthreaded section, this is known as a “collar”. Though this part of the screw isn't always visable, especially in smaller dowel screws.
Dowel Screws We Sell -
- Dual Thread Dowel Screw - Dowel Screw Threads feature a bolt thread at one end and a lag or wood screw at the other. They come in 1 size currently - M6 - but are available in left and right hand threading styles to suit use with our self assembly terminals.
- Stud Bolt Right And Left Hand Dual Thread - Dual Threaded Stud Bolts have a left handed thread at one end and a right handed thread at the other. They are used for balustrading, garden trellises, various architectural and many other applications. Use in conjunction with our self assembly terminals.
HOW TO INSTALL DOWEL SCREWS -
- There are numerous ways in which a dowel joinery can be used. The guidelines below are not meant to be the end all be all for dowel screw usage, it is simply one example showcasing how dowel screws are used.
- Drill Holes – Drill starter holes 1/4 inch into the wood and let the dowel screws do the rest. Find a drill bit slightly narrower than the dowel screw. If you do not make the hole narrower, the dowel screw does not have any wood to latch onto as it descends into the material.
- Clamp the Leg - For a dining room table or bar stool leg, clamp the leg in a straight up-and-down position to your portable work bench. To accomplish this, place the leg in the clamp and tighten it. Take a level up against the leg to determine if the wooden piece is plumb. Set the level on top of the leg to see if the leg is level. Drill into the leg to make the hole and wipe away any excess sawdust.
- Secure Dowel Screws - Squirt a bit of wood glue into the guide hole you just made. Insert a dowel screwdriver head in your cordless screwdriver. Keep turning the dowel screw until the final edge of the thread disappears into the wood. Let the glue set completely.
- Finish It Off - Drill a hole into the piece of furniture that goes with the leg. Twist the leg clockwise, or to the right, to tighten the dowel screw into the larger piece of furniture. Once you have all the legs in place, set the table or chair upright in its normal position.
WHERE TO BUY DOWEL SCREWS -
Need Dowel Screws for a project? The have a browse of our range here at Steelgear. We can provide you with standard, load rated, threaded, woodscrew and longshank type eyebolts, in various sizes and materials. Steelgear is known for its high quality and durable products. Products you can rely on in harsh weather enviroments.
If you require additional information or wish to place an order visit our Eyebolts webpage, call us on 01903331401 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org to get expert advise.